It’s hard to overstate how much dental restorations like veneers and crowns can do for your smile. They can help you feel more confident about your appearance again and allow you to eat all of the foods you love again. So you’ll want to keep them in the best shape possible, for as long as you can. Fortunately, it’s not too tough!
Check out our tips for keeping your restorations in great shape:
- Brush and Floss Daily – Good oral hygiene is important for your teeth and your restorations too. It removes the bits of food that can get caught between restorations and teeth, where they can cause problems. Use a soft-bristled brush and non-abrasive toothpaste to keep your restorations looking their best.
- Don’t Skip Exams – You’ll want to get professional cleanings at least twice a year, so we can remove any plaque and tartar you’ve missed at home. Dr. Eccles will also carefully examine your teeth and restorations to identify potential problems. He can often repair any minor damage to your restorations.
- Treat Teeth With Care – Don’t use your teeth to open packages or bottles. Ever. You risk cracking, chipping, or even breaking your restorations – and your teeth too. Do not crunch ice or popcorn kernels. Do not bite your nails.
- Wear a Mouthguard – If you play sports, you should wear a mouthguard to protect yourself from dental injuries. You may also need a mouthguard if you grind your teeth. It’s a bad habit that can do some serious damage to restorations and teeth.
- Watch What You Eat – Avoid sticky substances like caramel or taffy –or at least be careful when consuming them. Suck on hard candy rather than biting down on it. While crunchy apples and carrots are a nutritious snack, they are safer for your restorations if you cut them into smaller pieces before eating.
To schedule an exam or other dental service in Plainfield, IN, call Rod Eccles, DDS today at 317-682-0884.